Boundary Waters Wild Rice Soup
Boundary Waters Soup:
- 1/4 cup Onion Chopped
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2-3 tbsp Flour
- 4 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Wild Rice Cooked
- 1/2 tsp White Pepper
- 1 cup Whipping Cream
- 1/3 cup Sherry Optional
- 1 cup Diced Chicken Optional
How to Cook Wild Rice:
- 1 cup Uncooked Wild Rice
- 3 cup Water, Bouillon or Broth
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- In a large saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add flour and make a paste-like mixture.
- Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock.
- Whisk in flour mixture until smooth.
- Heat until boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- If desired, add more flour mixture to make soup thicker.
- Add wild rice, pepper, and cream.
- Add sherry and heat thoroughly (Makes 6 cups.)
- In a saucepan, combine wild rice, water and salt.
- Heat to boiling.
- Reduce heat. Cover. Simmer about 30 minutes.
- Check for doneness. Continue simmering until tender, checking every 5 minutes. Wild rice usually cooks tender in 30-45 minutes.
- Cooked wild rice can be stored in a tightly covered container up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
- For longer storage, freeze.
Pat Orn, Lisbon, ND
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!